Board of Directors Appointment - Amrop Carmichael Fisher
High-functioning Boards are successfully running the extra mile. They are representative and diverse, not only in terms of demographic statistics, but also in terms of characteristics (diversity of 'thought').
Their Independent Directors are integrated in a way that has risen beyond statutory norms to new levels of advisory excellence. They are not only fit for today, but justifiably confident in their succession for tomorrow. Their Nominations Committees have widened their scope: from preserving a traditional inner circle of familiar candidates, to acting as an expert and objective human capital interface. One that also has a firm grip on technology and innovation.
Yet the reality for most Boards is different.
As organisations reconfigure for growth and globalisation, many are facing serious governance questions for the first time. Their task is complicated by regulatory developments whose pace and form differs by geography, ownership type, listed status and, in some countries, sector. Further dilemmas surround the transfer of leadership from family or founding members to external professionals, or structural tensions pitching centralisation versus decentralisation.
Yet, despite unevenness, the underlying trend in global governance legislation is ticking up towards new and better standards, as national regulatory bodies look to the global picture for learning and synchronicity.
As such, the transformative opportunities for Boards have never been greater. All the more so, if they benefit from robust external advisorship.
As an executive search firm
, we at Amrop Carmichael Fisher works to assure the design and implementation of diverse, forward looking and connected Boards. We act as Trusted Advisor to the Executive, Supervisory and Advisory Boards of dynamic organisations all over the world, across a spectrum of industries.
Amrop Carmichael Fisher's global Board Services Practice works along three interconnected lines:
- Appointments (Chairs, Independent Directors, Advisory Boards, Committees)
- Board Evaluation
- Board Advisory / Board Effectiveness
- Uncovers gaps in the skills, experience, demographic and cognitive diversity of the current Board
- Identifies management strengths to build upon
- Examines requirements for new demographic profiles, specialist and technical skillsets
- Integrates fast-evolving governance requirements and organisational strategy
- Identifies, assesses, and presents Leaders For What’s Next – Board members who can flex to evolving strategic and operating environments across borders. Key questions: (particularly in the search for Independent Directors, these are often an afterthought):
- Can s/he anticipate the scale and complexity of strategic and operational risks?
- Act as a respected catalyst, contributing in a fresh and relevant way to Board discussions?
- Constructively challenge traditions, assumptions or bias?
- Guides the design and implementation of the on-boarding process
For organisations on a steep growth and globalisation curve, Amrop Carmichael Fisher helps ensure that their Board composition strikes the all-important balance between representativeness and leanness. That it does not only account for current governance frameworks, but looks forward to global governance trends.
In addition to optimising existing installations, Amrop Carmichael Fisher, an executive headhunter in Australia
, helps start-up organisations to set up Boards that fit their core business and aims and are compliant with governance standards.
Board Outlook Platform
After surveying a global population of Board members to better understand their approach to decision making and the potential effects on performance, Amrop Carmichael Fisher is excited to be launching Amrop Board Outlook to help our clients make better informed decisions relating to their Boards.
The Board Outlook Platform delivers dramatically better Board reviews and contains solutions for organisations of all scales, whether you’re looking to satisfy regulatory and governance requirements, support Board renewal or improve performance.
Board Outlook is a next generation toolkit for Board performance, covering:
- Eight modules cover all elements of board performance
The platform includes Board and Committee Evaluation, Kills matrix, Director 360, CEO 360, Board Psychometric, Chair succession and Risk diagnostic. Use them individually or as an integrated process.
- Save days of time with confidential workflow management
The Board Outlook Platform saves days in workflow management (distribution, follow up, aggregation and reporting), meaning the board can act faster. Full automation prevents confidentiality risks.
- Online software that’s easy and enjoyable to use
Board Outlook has been specifically designed to move beyond the frustration of typical ‘tick the box’ online surveys. We use a deeper, more interactive question format that drives constructive feedback.
- Leverage a standardised and scientific process
All modules have been designed, reviewed, and approved by experienced Directors, Chairs and Organisational Psychologists. The Board Outlook approach is built on all foundational ASX and AICD recommendations.
- Interactive reporting and action framework drive change
Benefit from an integrated action framework that allows Directors to flag and discuss issues. Once actions are decided , they can be allocated and automatically followed up on the platform.